Welcome to our home education blog.

We, as a family, are continuing to define what home-school looks like in our home. Now in the 4th season of our journey, I see more changes on the horizon. 
The key, I think, is to believe in what we are doing, to re-define it continuously for ourselves, being open to the evolution of learning. To always explore. 
This blog is about that exploration. 

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flat Stanley fun.


We took a bunch of the Flat Stanley books out of our local library. Jack has been reading them for his silent reading the last few weeks, and really enjoying them. Today we decided to sit together and read one out loud. Jack picked the Flat Stanley and the magic lamp. 

It spawned many discussions, including these:
  • what we would wish for if we had 15 wishes
  • the adventures we would like to have
  • the types of hybrid pets we would like, the liophant is so cute
  • the relationship between Stanley and his brother Arthur, sibling rivalry and the specialness of brother-friends
  • what it would be like to be famous and have no privacy
  • consequences
  • similarities between this story and the Aladdin movies, which we have recently watched

I have been looking around for suggestions on how to do our own flat stanley project after seeing some awesome photos from the website galleries. I especially like this one with Clint and Stanley on the red carpet... I love Clint Eastwood! I wonder whose stanley he had with him. so cute!



In any case. We have a few ideas brewing if you have any ideas for us, let me know. This is a growing unit for us, I think. It could be big. Because I love the homeschoolshare.com resources here are some ideas for a lapbook to go along with furthering our interest in Stanley Lambchop. 

speaking of lambchops and sweetpeas...

WELL, BLOW ME DOWN!

In other news my kids have decided to eat spinach. weirdos! There is power in packaging! They are only interested in being strong like Popeye. I will take it, if it means my kids will eat something green. Solomon just showed me the sandwich he made with toast, cheese, jam and spinach... okay eww.

No comments:

Post a Comment